As it is required to give a representation to the department before filing a CAT case, a draft is put up which will be submitted in one or two days.If Suggestion or correction, please send immediately.
Department of Posts
(Through proper channel)
Sub: Request for granting grade pay of Rs. 4600 to the cadre of Inspector Posts.
With due respect, I would like to draw your kind attention towards the non granting of grade pay of Rs.4600 to Inspector Posts whereas analogous posts in CBDT/CBEC as well as Assistants of Central Secretariat Services (CSS) has already been upgraded to Rs.4600 from Rs.4200. Inspector Posts is also eligible for higher grade pay of Rs. 4600 on the following grounds:
1. In the Vth pay commission, the pay scales of Inspector Posts and analogous posts in CBDT/CBEC as well as Assistants of Central Secretariat Services (CSS) were same i.e. Rs.5500-175-9000. Later on, the pay scales of Inspectors in CBDT / CBEC was enhanced in the scale of Rs.6500-200-10500 in April’2004 and subsequently the pay scale of Assistants in CSS was also enhanced in Sept’2006 by the concerned Departments. But the pay scale of Inspector Posts remain unchanged.
2. In this connection I would like to cite the common order of Hon’ble CAT, Bangalore dated 27th July 2007, given in OA No. 424/06 and 211/07 filed by Postal Inspectors of Karnatka Circle (Annexure-I). These OAs were filed seeking the parity in the Pay scale of Inspector Posts and Inspector of Income Tax. Since the Central Government had constituted the VIth Pay Commission to set right the anomalies and to recommend Pay revision in case of Central Government employees, and the said commission had not submitted its report at that time, the Hon’ble CAT disposed these OAs with direction to applicants and Respondents to take up the issue immediately before VI th Pay Commission with the copy of its order.
3. The demand of Parity in pay scales of Inspector Posts and Inspectors and analogous posts in CBDT/CBEC as well as Assistants of Central Secretariat Service (CSS) was approved by the VIth Pay commission and the commission in Para 7.6.14 of its final report, recommended the following :
“Postal Inspectors in Department of Posts have demanded a higher pay scale of Rs.6500-10500 on par with Inspectors and analogous posts in CBDT/CBEC as well as Assistants of Central Secretariat Service (CSS) on the ground that they are recruited through the same examination. The Commission is recommending the merger of pre-revised pay scales of Rs.5500-9000 and Rs.6500- 10500 which will automatically bring Inspector (Posts) on par with Assistants in CSS/Inspectors and analogous posts in CBDT and CBEC. With this upgradation , Inspector (Posts) shall come to lie in an identical pay scale as that of their promotion post of Assistant Superintendent (Posts) [ASPOs]. ASPOs shall, accordingly, be placed in the next higher pay scale of Rs.7450-11500 corresponding to the revised pay band PB-2 of Rs.8700-34800 along with grade pay of Rs.4600..……… ” (Annexure-II)
The above recommendation was accepted by the Govt. Of India, and the Inspector Posts was given grade pay of Rs.4200 along with Inspectors and analogous posts in CBDT/CBEC as well as Assistants of Central Secretariat Service (CSS).
4. Recently, Ministry of Finance vide OM F.No.1/1/2008-IC dated 13.11.2009, has granted the grade pay of Rs.4600 in the pay band PB-2 in revised pay structure to the posts that existed in the pre-revised scale of Rs.6500-10500 as on 01.01.2006 and which were granted the normal replacement pay structure of grade pay of Rs.4200 in the Pay band PB-2 (Annexure-III). Accordingly, the Grade Pay of Inspectors and analogous posts in CBDT/CBEC are upgraded to Rs.4600. It is to mention that Inspector Posts was brought on par with Inspectors and analogous posts in CBDT/CBEC and pre-revised pay scale of Rs.6500-10500 was given w.e.f 01.01.2006 by Govt. of India as per the recommendation of the VIth pay commission. With this upgradation, ASPOs (Promotion post of Inspector Posts) was placed in the next higher pre-revised Pay scale of Rs.7450-11500, which also proves the claim that the Inspector Posts was placed in pre-revised pay scale of Rs.6500-10500 w.e.f 01.01.2006.
5. In Memo. No. 1/1/2008-IC dated 16th November 2009 of Ministry of Finance, the benefit of upgradation of grade pay Rs 4600/- has been extended to Assistants and personal Assistants of CSS, AFHQ, IFS ‘B’, and Railway Board Secretariat Service and their counterpart Stenographer Services also. The true copy of the same is attached as Annexure-IV. In para 4 of the said OM, it is stated that “ one of the reasons due to which Assistants of Central Secretariat are being granted grade pay of Rs.4600 is the fact that there is an element of direct recruitment to the post and that too through an All India Competitive Examination.” Based on this order, the concerned Departments have issued the order for upgradation. It is a fact that Inspector Posts was brought on par with Assistants in CSS by Govt. of India as per the recommendation of the VIth pay commission, and the Inspector Posts has also the element of direct recruitment to the post and that too through an All India Competitive Examination.
6. Also, HSG –II cadre and BCR officials who are being supervised by Inspector Posts are placed on par by placing them in grade pay Rs.4200 w.e.f 1.1.2006. The principle of supervisor should get more pay than the supervised is to be followed and the level hierarchy should be maintained by placing Inspector Posts in the grade pay of Rs.4600 and above the HSG-II and BCR officials
In view of the above facts, Inspector Posts not only qualifies but deserves to be granted the higher grade pay of Rs.4600. As Assistants in CSS, Inspectors and analogous posts in CBDT and CBEC have already been granted higher grade of Rs.4600, Inspector Posts alone is left behind. In order to keep our morale up, it is necessary to revise the grade pay of Inspector Posts to Rs.4600, otherwise I will be put to irreparable loss and injury.
Hence, it is humbly requested to look into the matter and issue necessary orders to revise the grade pay of Inspector Posts from Rs.4200 to Rs.4600 immediately.
Thanking you, Madam,